Aug 14, 2008

I love this country, but does this country love me

I am very disturbed by the recent event. I look at this UiTM students' demonstration and all the shouting of defending Malay rights and calling Khalid pengkhianat bangsa, I wept. I wept for this country, the country that I suppose to love unconditionally...And I look at my little Hannah, I ask whether this country still loves me and my family? Not that non-Malays will immediately accepting Uitm's offer if they open up that tiny 10% allocation, because there are so many colleges and universities around, the choices are abundant, what make them think that non-Malays would want to apply in?? For me, it's the betrayal of the promises of this country had for my family and for future generation, for my daughter Hannah and many who are born in Malaysia . I am very very disturbed and sad that after 50 years of merdake, we are still divided by race and religion. And calling your own race as pengkhianat bangsa, is actually implying that other races are invaders that these other race are out to conquer Malaysia and not fit to be in this country.. No doubt this is the saddest day of my life. Sad because realise that I am not recognised as a Malaysian no matter how good my Bahasa is, no matter how long I have stayed here, sad because my Malay friend will be called pengkhianat bangsa just because he or she is fighting for a better Malaysia.


No comments: